It Hurts To Move
Did you know that the sciatic nerve runs from the lower back down through the buttocks, and down the legs ending just below the area of the knee? No wonder it can cause severe pain when it gets compressed! It is estimated that up to 40 percent of people will experience sciatic pain at least once in their lifetime! And the pain can actually put your life on hold when the pain becomes severe.
Common symptoms of sciatic pain include:
- Pain in the lower back shooting down through the buttock and down the back of the leg.
- Numbness in the leg along the nerve
- Tingling sensation in the feet and toes
What causes sciatic pain?
Excess weight, lack of exercise, high heels, sleeping on a mattress that is too soft and sitting at a desk for too long, all can cause sciatic pain. This pain can range from mild to severe and may be aggravated more throughout the day depending on your routine.
A treatment plan for the sciatic nerve from a chiropractor can help alleviate these symptoms.
- Ice/Cold therapy reduces inflammation and helps to control sciatic pain.
- Ultrasound is gentle heat created by sound waves that penetrates deep into tissues. Ultrasound increases circulation and helps to reduce muscle spasms, cramping, swelling, stiffness, and pain.
- TENS unit (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is a small box-like, battery-powered, portable muscle stimulating machine. Variable intensities of electrical current control acute pain and reduce muscle spasms.
- Adjustments (Spinal Manipulation) is the core of chiropractic care. Spinal adjustment helps to reduce nerve irritability responsible for causing inflammation, muscle spasm, pain, and other symptoms related to sciatica.
Is there anything I can do at home?
If you can’t get to a chiropractor right away, stretching can help relieve some of your sciatica pain with gentle lower-back stretches. Your chiropractor can also show you several other exercises that can be used right along with the treatment he/she provides. Don’t delay if you are in pain! Call Dr. Hankinson today and start getting some relief!